Be sure to see the video of the beautiful quilts submitted at the April Guild Meeting Gala on April 30, 2018. The video can be seen on our Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/Pieces-and-Patches-Quilt-Guild-Jackson-Michigan- Also, the photos of the winners at the Gala are on the photo gallery page of this blog.
PPQG Quilt Show
This is the absolutely gorgeous raffle quilt for the upcoming quilt show.
Get out your fancy hats—shine up those shoes. It is time for the Quilt Challenge and Gala—
Monday, April 30th 6:30pm to 8:00pm we have the wonderful opportunity to view the Challenge Quilts “Quilters are Artists Too” created by fellow Guild members. Plus, Janet Rochefort, 1st Vice President, and her
crew of volunteers will be presenting us yummy hors d’ oeuvres. All of this within the comforts of our Guild meeting! Lucky, lucky us!!
April Guild Meeting Happenings
• The new Executive Board nominations will be presented.
• A charity that was missed (it was presented to the Executive Board on deadline) will be presented by Becky Kopicko.
• NO DEMONSTRATION FOR THIS MONTH.
The following items to be voted on at the May Business Meeting;
• New Executive Board
• Bylaw changes
• Workshop Policy changes
The Ella Sharp Museum has invited our Guild to coinside with a major exhibit at the Hurst Gallery. Beginning May 26 to October 7, the fiber artist,
Deb Hyde will be presentingher exhibit. More information will be presented by
Lu Ann Hammond, Community Outreach, in the near future. Very exciting!!
• April meeting time begins at 6:30pm
• APRIL birthday ladies—NO snacks need to be brought for this month. Thank you though. 😃
• NO DEMO FOR APRIL
• Introduction of New Executive Board
• Show ‘n’ Tell
• Still looking for volunteers for the Quilt Show next month. Please contact Elizabeth Hewett, Quilt Show Chair. firstname.lastname@example.org
GREETERS: Looking for one or two Volunteers please.
HOLDERS and FOLDERS:
~ Karen Beers
~ Cathey Newhouse
Thank you all for what you do to make out Guild what it is!! Pretty terrific!!
Our next scheduled gathering at Country Stitches is May 15 at 1 p.m. We will be welcoming back our Snowbirds! Be sure to bring your "show and share" items. This may be a quilt you've finished or a new tool you've acquired. You are not required to own a long arm to participate in our group. Open discussion and fun. See you there!
How did you celebrate National Quilt Day on March 17th?
A group of Pieces and Patches Quilt Guild members met at Country Stitches for the School Bell Sew Day to learn some new techniques, share project ideas and to celebrate the National Quilt Day. Special thanks to Elizabeth Hewett, Marj Hobe, Connie Kress and Cheri Pickett for sharing their time, expertise and skills to show the group how to color quilt blocks, make silk ribbon roses and learn new ways to make bias binding. April Koenig said" Thank you for organizing and giving us helpful hints. It was a great day of learning and fun!
Congratulations to our guild member, Sharon Bannister! Her beautiful hand appliqued quilt has been accepted at the Paducah, Kentucky AQS Quilt Show. Several members have expressed an interest in supporting her by attending AQS Quilt Show. April 18 - 21,2018. Here is a link from the AQS website listing a couple bus tours. One is from Bridgeport, MI, and lists stops in Flint, Brighton, Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo.
If you know of other bus groups seeking passengers, please post below.
SPRING PADUCAH 2018 | Tours and Groups April 18–21, 2018 • Wed.–Fri., 9am–6pm, Sat., 9am–4pm Schroeder Expo Center • 415 Park Street, Paducah, KY 42001 Register Your Group Q. Did you know that there may be a tour coming to QuiltWeek from your area? A. Check
This month went fast. Can you believe its time for our February Guild meeting?
Here are a few things to think about, get ready for and to do.
• This month is ❤️LOVE OFFERING❤️ month. Please look for the three (3) RED jars. One for each of these Guild sponsored charities, Allegiance Hospice Quilts, Cage Comforters and Quilts For Kids.” Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and welcome donations.
• Our program this month will be an interactive one. It is called, “Teaching Others.” We will be changing stations every 15 minutes. We will observe five (5) different demonstrations presented by five (5) of our talented Guild members. This will be SO fun. You don’t want to miss this.
No February workshop.
• March Program: Our program will be presented by Cathey Newhouse and Becky Kopicko. Their program is titled, “Flowers in Quilts.” This will give us all a taste of spring and ideas about our own flower gardens, inside and out.
• March Workshop: Cathey Newhouse will be instructing us on, “Thread Painting Flowers.” There is room for you and a friend to sign up. Look for the sign up sheets in the lobby.
• School Bell Quilt In: The bell will be ringing at 9:00am on Saturday, March 17th for roll call. More information will be given at the meeting about the fun that is planned. Sign up sheets will be available at the meeting.
• The Challenge and The Quilt Show! Talk about fun!! More about these at the meeting too!
Frienship takes on many mantles. February is LOVE month. Let’s make it frienship month too, supporting our friends, our fellow Guild members. So, here is one way...
Anyone who is a Guild member, and has a quilt related business or works for a quilt related business, please bring a flyer or business card—or both—to the meeting. Please place them on the lobby table for advertising. Bring a few extra so members can take one for future reference. A quilt related business is a business that you receive payment for services rendered, wether it’s hand work or machine work, selling fabric and/or products. Our Guild has a wonderful newsletter to place your advertisement in too.
February Greeters: The Executive Board
February Holders and Folders: Lois Darling, Susan Smith and Cheryl Watson.
See you all at Ella Sharp.
Cheri Pickett President Pieces and Patches Quilt Guild
A special thanks goes to Janet Rochefort and Chris Carothers for hosting and planning a most enjoyable January, 2018 quilt retreat at Hankards Inn in Pleasant Lake. It was a lovely place to spend many happy hours quilting, renew and develop new friendships and eat very yummy food. If you haven't had the opportunity to enjoy a Pieces and Patches Quilt Guild retreat do consider signing up for the February retreat or the summer retreat( summer dates to be determined) See the retreat photos under the Photo Gallery tab.
This year's PPQG Challenge theme is all about"QUILTERS ARE ARTISTS TOO." The members who participate will choose an artist and take a picture of one of their works and create a quilt representing your interpretation of the artist's work. There will be a cost of $5.00 for a fat quarter that MUSTbe in their wall hanging somewhere. This year we will be using the criteria for AQS because it is the goal of the Guild to apply to enter our 8 chosen quilts to be displayed at their annual quilt show.
THE RULES ARE:
1. Choose an artist and create a quilt using their art piece as inspiration. Interpret it to make your own!!
2. Size of wall hanging: 30" X 40" or 40" X 30" (Portrait or Landscape orientation)
3. You must use some of the fat quarter within the wall hanging(It must be noticeable)
4. The quilt must be made entirely by the member.
5. You will bring your entry to the guild meeting on April 30, 2018 before 6:45 p.m. in a nondescript bag which will be given to a committee member. Do
not have any labels on it.
6. Attach a picture of your inspiration plus the name of the artist.
On April 30, 2018, we will display the Challenge Quilts at an Art Exhibit from
7:00 to 7:45. Each member will have a chance to vote on their favorite quilt.
There will be 8 place winners and the prizes are as follows:
1" Prize $100.00
2nd Prize 80.00
3rd Prize 70.00
4th Prize 60.00
5th Prize 50.00
6th Prize 40.00
7th Prize 30.00
8th Prize 20.00
TOTAL PAYOUT: $450.00
Invite guests to come to see yours and other member's ART! It will be a fun
night with hors d'oeuvres an sparkling drinks. Remember not to overthink it.
It is all about how you interpret the artist. Have Fun!
Thank you for your participation!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have any questions, please call me at 517 769-6153 or ask at the meeting.
Jan Rochefort, Challenge Chair
Note: If Pieces and Patches Quilt Guild's Challenge Quilts are fortunate enough to be selected for the AQS Quilt Show, it will be necessary to follow specific AQS instructions for attaching the sleeve for hanging. The eight winning quilts that we send would require a sleeve that conforms to their specifications. Instructions on how this sleeve should be applied will be forthcoming, possibly in a demo in 2018.